April 28, 2013

A Day of PossAbilities

Owen participated in Loma Linda University's PossAbilities Triathlon for kids today...a very special event that supports individuals with physical and developmental disabilities. As you can imagine there were folks from all walks of life, mentally and physically disabled individuals without arms, legs, those that were wheel chair bound, others with crutches or some other supportive devices.
 
Today wasn't a day for keeping track of distance raced, laps in the pool, miles biked, or ranking,  but rather a day to celebrate potential.
 
Today I watched a young boy, not much older than 4, run side-by-side with his mom. This little boy was so happy...so proud...and he looked like any other young one out there running today -- but he was special. As he ran past us and jumped into the swimming pool to complete the last part of the triathlon,  I had tears in my eyes and as I looked over at Chris, so did he. This little boy was missing both his legs but was running using his two magic ones. When he entered the pool they removed these special legs and a lifeguard held his tiny tummy as he swam the last lap. I don't know this little man, but I don't think that I will ever forget him!  He was smiling ear to ear, so proud that he was racing -- definitely reminded me of Owen and how absolutely thrilled he is at the opportunity to race...just like any, other child out there today. Wow...what an amazing gift to watch that little man compete today.
 
We saw an older gentleman, wheel-chair bound whose entire family -- children (who were probably my age), his grandchildren, and perhaps other family members, pushing his bike through the grass. There were like seven or eight of them pushing him along, one holding a video camera documenting the entire family! Anyone who saw this man, this family, immediately stopped, and started cheering and encouraging them. The older gentleman started waving and smiling as they approached the pool area. Another amazing moment to be a part of today.
 
And with that, a wave of gratitude and thankfulness swept over me...
 
 
Today I am thankful that my sons are healthy...
 

   
 
 
Today I am thankful for the strong lungs that allowed for my son to breathe as he ran across a grass field...
 
 
Today I am grateful for his legs and arms that helped him to propel forward in the pool water...
 
 
Today I am thankful for his beautiful eyes that permit him to see...
 
 
Today I am thankful for his mind and its miraculous ability to control every movement of his body...
 
 
Today I don't take for granted his beautiful life and the many "little things" that seem so insignificant but that are actually tiny miracles that happen every.single.day...
 
 
Today I feel so blessed that we got to experience the true meaning of possibility... and that our boys were able to observe and experience that anything...ANYTHING is possible!

2 comments:

  1. how sweet of your whole family to be involved...Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got tears in MY eyes reading about that amazing little boy! How awesome that is!

    (And I couldn't help but think while reading this: no wonder this week at work is so blech...how insignificant it all is when you have some perspective like THAT to work off of!!)

    Looks like your family had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete